Saturday 10 March 2018

MY SADDLESORE RIDE 1600K (IBA)



My White Horse (Apache RTR180)

One day I came to know about IBA-Iron Butt Association,USA which is meant only for the World's Toughest Motorcycle Riders. All My passion towards riding and my craze for travelling attracted me towards it. I fixed up my mind and said yeah, I want to be an Iron Butt. First step I have to complete Saddle-sore 1600k (1600km in less than 24 hours). I started to make myself fit enough both physically and mentally for the ride. Simultaneously I planned for the route and fixed it after many considerations. I decided to start from Kanyakumari towards Hyderabad via NH7. On 6th of April 2012 evening I started from Salem and next day early morning I reached Kanyakumari.   


My ride started at VivekanandapuramKanyakumari (Southernmost tip of India) at 8:31pm (GMT +5:30) after filling petrol at nearest IOC Outlet. The odometer was pounding with 41162.9 km, eager to achieve the feat. My initial plan was to attempt for both Saddle-sore 1600km along with Bun-burner 2600K, but deep inside I knew my bike has to support that though I had faith in my white horse – TVS APACHE RTR 180. I was equipped for the worst case as well having a complete tool kit and Engine oil in my back pack. After completing the formalities from the witnesses, I started with a thump from the place. 

I had 2 bottles in my bag, one bottles with engine oil and another with water. My headlight was brimming with energy and I headed with full focus to the next checkpoint Bharat Petroleum, Vadipatti, Madurai where I wrongly drank ENGINE OIL instead of water which was the worst nightmare of my life. I started to feel dizziness in my eyes and started to take rest for some time, I can feel the bike’s waiting for me to start again. Keeping my head high, I started my horse at odo showing 41424.9 km. I reached Dharmapuri at 3:39am which was supposed to be my sluggish ride due to the effect of oil in my throat. My odo was showing 41694.6 km. At 5:26 am, I reached Bangalore elevated toll way where I had my horse displaying its fullest power. At 6:20 am, I was at Sai Sudha Indian Oil outlet for filling fuel.  

Amidst the early morning sun, tranquil breeze my vehicle was cutting through the winds towards Anatapur. I went to Sreenivasa Filling Station for my fuel fill where my odometer was displaying 42078.5km. Then I covered 173 km in 2 hours reaching Itikalapadu at 10:39 AM which was my next checkpoint filling the fuel. It is summer in India and I was feeling the scorching sun at 12:54 pm which my next checkpoint at State Bank of India ATM Thimmapur, Hyderabad. My odometer was 42424.2 km which was magicalAfter collecting the receipt from the ATM, I kick started the bike to full speed and riding became an integral part of me.  I arrived at Bharat Petroleum Bunk, OSIS RangareddyGuda Near Hyderabad.(“The petrol bunk guys refused to give me the receipt , I had to explain the whole IBA ride after which I received the same.”)


 After the fuel fill, tremendous confidence was in me to achieve the goal. With that positive attitude, I drove 253.2 km in 3 hours. Suddenly it started raining with my bike steadily moving at 3:00pm. It rained incessantly for 45 min and I was constantly driving my bike till the end. I reached the Bharat Petroleum Bunk at GootyAnatapur at 4:36 pm where my odometer was showing me 42711.4 km. A bright ray of hope and energy was set in my mind, and with that confidence I was riding towards Bangalore.  

The real challenge started when I was riding towards Bangalore. After all, my white horse has endured a lot as of now. This is what was running in my mind. But after some time, gear rod broke. I was equipped with tools, so I fixed it and started riding again. One after other, the vehicle was messing up as the exhaust got loose and lot of heat was generated. I was replacing with  allen key and a proper nut and fastened it. After fixing this, I decided to drive at full pace heading to Indian Oil Outlet, Bellary Road, Bangalore at8:30 pm. My odometer displaying 43002.8 km made me drive more and more. Here my friends Vishal and Deepan were waiting for witness formalities and I quickly finished the same 

And I was heading towards Salem, having a slight thought of attempting Bun-burnerUnfortunately, my thoughts got backfired as my tyre busted near Salem, making my vehicle skid and land in a pit. I had applied the brakes and controlled it but my vehicle was thrashed into a pit and my Front Dome got battered into pieces. I jumped safely onto the side of the pit. After this, I was unable to continue my ride. Deep inside, I wanted to complete the consecutive record as well and I will surely do it in the near future…. 

Saddle Sore Ride – Sector Wise Break up 

Oneway ride: TO 
Kanyakumari to Madurai:         261 km              2hr 55min 
Madurai to Dharmapuri:           270.6 km           4hr 10 min
Dharmapuri to Bangalore:       183.4 km            2hr 40min 
Bangalore to Anantapur:         201km                2 hr 15 min 
Anantapur to Hyderabad:        345.7km             4 hr 20 min 
Hyderabad to RR-Guda:         34km                  50 min 
Total:                                       1295.7 km          17 hrs 
Oneway ride: FROM 
RR-Guda to Anantapur:          253.2km              2hr 50min 
Anantapur to Bangalore :        291.4 km             3hr 55min 
Total:                                       544.6 km             6hr 45 min  
                                  
Riding is very easy but documenting it properly is the trick. 
All Documents





Happiest Moment of my Life.  YES. I am one of the toughest rider in the world from India.
IBA_WorldsToughestRider



Motor Vikatan Article: Most Valuable credit.
All time fav Motor Vikatan
Thanks to Motor Guru Bala Sir, Motor Vikatan Chief Editor


Thanks for reading., 
With Love,  
Poonkathirvelan. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing. Time to revamp it into a website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep going....wanna see you as india's best and no.1 rider....the world must know you as a bike rider...you have miles and miles to go...your only limit is you...so go ahead and achieve your dreams... Let your unquenchable thirst for riding never end.... All the best for your future achievements.👍

      Delete
    2. nandri :) Will try to do it more

      Delete